Monday, March 31, 2008

Funny Story I Already Forgot About...

I was scanning through my Myspace blogs and came across this one - you might enjoy it, too. It's from February 27, 2008.

Deja Vu all over again...
Category: Life

I still remember that day vividly. I was in kindergarten. I loved my teacher, Mrs. Hurst, and was happy to be at school. Back then, in kindergarten you learned the alphabet - a letter a week or so. My teacher had blow-up letters and each week it was a new one. We had learning centers, and you never knew which one you would end up in...just had to wait and see which shape was on the necklace Mrs. Hurst gave you. And kindergarten was only half-days. I went in the morning for part of the year; the afternoon for the remainder.

So I was sitting on the floor that day when my mom came to the door. It wasn't time to go home yet, but there she was. With my sister in tow.

"Holly, I need Amy's shoe. You have one of hers on and one of yours on." I was so embarrassed! We took care of the shoe mix-up and I went about my business.

I've shared the story with my kids and they got a great laugh out of it. I never expected it to happen to us, though. Until today.

As usual, instead of getting ready, they were killing time this morning and when I started out the door there was a scramble to get shoes and jackets on. Chloe grabbed a pair of shoes and ran to get in the car.

About a block down the road, she points out that there is a knot in the shoelace that she can't get out. Edie passes the shoe to me and as I'm sitting at a red light, I realize that the shoe belongs to Edie, not Chloe, and point that out to Chloe. "Looks like you get to wear Edie's shoes today," I say as we head to school. Not nice, but I wasn't feeling especially nice after having to fuss at them for the third day this week and 4th week this month and 6th month this school year to "hurry up and get ready for school."

So around 10:30, I get a call from the school. Chloe is asking me to take her shoes to her - they're about to go outside. I figured a couple of hours of ill-fitting shoes are enough punishment and take the shoes to her on my way to lunch.

I hope she learns a lesson and keeps a memory from today. I know I did.

No comments: